Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Divinipotent About Talent

"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious."
~ Albert Einstein

Perhaps you amaze your friends by wiggling your tongue and ears simultaneously. Or maybe at family get-togethers you're known for putting your legs behind your head and singing the National Anthem backwards. If so, do I have news for you. Today, November 24th, is Celebrate Your Unique Talent Day.

As Holidaypedia explains it, the premise for this occasion is as follows:
"Everybody has at least one thing they truly excel at it. Everyone is truly exception [sic] at something. Flaunt your talent gifts today."
Celebrate Your Unique Talent Day is possibly the worst idea for a holiday I have ever come across. While I can't prove it, I am certain it was invented by the same people who want every child, regardless of ability, to make the team and go home with a trophy. Hello, people, life isn't like that. Get over it.

Of course if we stretch the definition of talent to the breaking point, it may be true that everyone possesses some special ability. Consider those listed on the skateboard city forum:
  • "I can shake my eyes left and right really fast!"
  • "I can fall asleep at will."
  • "I can fit 3 quarters into each of my nostrils."
  • "I can lick my ear."
Given enough drive, most people with even a modicum of talent can audition to celebrate themselves on one of the "Idol," "Got Talent" or similar shows that have cropped up around the world. Those without drive can simply head to a karaoke bar or, as so many thousands have already done, upload a video to YouTube.

Here is my holiday wish: By all means, everyone, celebrate your unique talent today — but please do so in the privacy of your own home.

1 comment:

  1. Celebrate Your Unique Talent Day was actually created by me, Shannon Hurd. And, for the record, I DON'T believe every child should make the team or get a trophy.

    I'm simply trying to interject some fun into life! I have a unique ability, which is featured on youtube (www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yRG03ehuKw) and has provided me years of entertainment and stress relief. As well, although this was not my original intention, I have received media attention and won prizes from this talent, including a flat-screen plasma TV. I almost ended up on The Tonight Show.

    I created this holiday to celebrate my own talent and give other people who might have weird talents a chance to do the same.

    In 2010, I'll have a Web site (www.youruniquetalent.com) up and running, and plan to give away cash prizes to people who have weird talents. Maybe this isn't earth-shattering, but what's wrong with some enjoyment?

    uniquetalentday@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete