Sunday, September 20, 2009

Divinipotent About Autumn


"Besides the autumn poets sing
A few prosaic days
A little this side of the snow
And that side of the haze."
~ Emily Dickinson

Autumn arrives for its annual stay in the Northern Hemisphere on Tuesday, carrying with it crisp air, blue-white light, shrinking days, orange pumpkins, golden leaves and traces of regret. Old poets will be remembered, new poets will be inspired.

"A wind has blown the rain away and blown the sky away and all the leaves away, and the trees stand. I think, I too, have known autumn too long.”
~ E. E. Cummings

“There is a harmony in autumn, and a luster in its sky, which through the summer is not heard or seen, as if it could not be, as if it had not been!”
~ Percy Bysshe Shelley

“Summer makes me drowsy. Autumn makes me sing. Winter's pretty lousy, but I hate Spring.”
~ Dorothy Parker

No comments:

Post a Comment