Friday, May 14, 2010

Instant Vacation

"A change is as good as a rest."

My mother believed in that proverb. She said it to me more than once, and I've found it to be true.

Lately I've realized that certain photographs have the power to deliver the sort of change that adds up to rest for me. Here's an example, a photo of Newburgh, New York in 1906.


Click on the photo to enlarge it or go here to see it larger. Look at the storefront full of bonnets that look like prize ribbons, the furniture and wicker pram in the shop next door, the patient horse pulling its wagon on a street scored with trolley tracks. Already, the first horseless carriages are there. Imagine living here. Wherever you look, there's more to see.

Feel rested?

Perhaps an other-worldly vacation is what you're seeking. If so, I recommend the website of Jonathan Harris, who has moved to Iceland and begun posting daily photos like this one. (Harris is a man of many talents; I've written about him before, here.) Add yourself to his e-mail list for a dose of daily amazement, a change and a rest.



Too much work, and no vacation,
Deserves at least a small libation.
So hail! my friends, and raise your glasses,
Work's the curse of the drinking classes!
~ Oscar Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment